Saturday, May 10, 2008

Yes - I did pass out on stage at JavaOne.

Thank you for all the emails. I apparently contract the norovirus that was running rampant through JavaOne this year. While I spent most of the night vomiting (and worse), I did feel okay in the morning. I went to a medical clinic totally unaware the virus was around and they diagnosed it. I later found out via the news that a norovirus was the culprit.

I felt okay so I decided to go ahead with my final presentation on SOA, Standards and Java at 1:30 on Friday; however my co-presenter Steve Jones of Capgemini noticed I wasn't looking too good. To make a long story short, at the end of the code demo part I keeled over and apparently blacked out on stage in front of quite a few hundred people. I guess it is a good way to avoid Q&A. Goods news is we actually got the presentation done first.

The media picked up the story later that day:
CBS - http://cbs5.com/local/norovirus.moscone.outbreak.2.720481.html

SF Chronicle - http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/10/BAB910JRM3.DTL&type=health

CNET - http://www.news.com/8301-13577_3-9940042-36.html?tag=cd.blog

Thank you to everyone who wrote in. I am still sick but okay enough to blog. Will update later.

8 comments:

  1. I'm very glad to hear you are feeling better, but for all the readers, IMHO it was a mistake for Duane to persist in presenting after the diagnosis.

    Next time, stay home after the the diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed:

    You are so right. I had this advice given to me but in a dazed state it didn't really resonate with me until it was too late. I wish someone had really pulled me aside and said "NO!". Even worse - I got on a plane and traveled from SF to Vancouver. My head was clearly not on properly and I should not have been allowed to travel. I just pray no one got sick as a result of my actions. If I ever am like this again, someone please take action. When people are sick, they cannot think clearly. I am not sure how I made it through the code demo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moscone Center spokesman still says only 3 non-staff members contracted it. Of the 4 people from my company 3 of us got it and and I so bad that Friday I was in ER on IVs so no sessions that day. I wish they would publish the truth of how many were infected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah - Moscone also said no one went to the hospital (obviously you were at least one and I went to a medical clinic). They totally BS'd us all about how severe it really was. I wonder what was with the food handling? Maybe a good idea to follow up with the San Francisco Department of Health.

    Sorry to hear you guys got it too. I hope you're all getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOA, Standards and Java are above all failures!

    Duane, you have proved it.

    I am so glad for you that you are better. If you do not read my official comments to the Public Draft 1 for a few days more, you will be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah they really BS'd on how many got sick. One of our Guys got it too.... course we hung around Duane... Ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had a lot of private emails too so I started a new blog post and discussion here:

    http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2008/05/moscone-norovirus-javaone-truth-please.html


    Please respond to the new one if you have had any related experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Do not spam this blog! Google and Yahoo DO NOT follow comment links for SEO. If you post an unrelated link advertising a company or service, you will be reported immediately for spam and your link deleted within 30 minutes. If you want to sponsor a post, please let us know by reaching out to duane dot nickull at gmail dot com.